"Voted, That the streets in the City of New Haven be named as follows, viz.: The street from Captain Samuel Munson's corner to Thomas Howell, Esq.'s shop, State Street. The street from Cooper's corner to Captain Robert Brown's corner, Church Street. The street from Dixwell's corner to Dunbar's corner, College Street. The street from Tench's corner to Andrus' corner, York Street. The street from Captain Samuel Munson's corner to Tench's corner, Grove Street. The street from Bishop's corner to Darling's corner, Elm Street. The street from Rhode's corner to Mr. Isaac Doolittle's corner, Chapel Street..."
"Across the street Vanderbilt Hall loomed indistinctly. To the ignorant it may be necessary to explain that its courtyard is open to Chapel Street, but that an iron grill stretches from wing to wing and keeps out the town. This grill is high enough for Hagenbeck, and it used to be a favorite game with us to play animal behind it for the street's amusement. At the hour when the crowd issued from the matinée at the Hyperion Theatre, our wittiest students paced on all fours up and down behind this grill and roared for raw beef."
"A color lithograph print depicting the winding Farnam Drive that ascends East Rock and the new monument that it leads to. The promotional print is designed as a calendar, and charts the year 1888." -Image courtesy of the New Haven Museum, Documentary Objects Collection, "Farnam Drive and East Rock Monument," Lithograph by J. D. Dewell… Continue reading New Haven’s Monument Day