Ode to the Frog of the Bandusian Font, by Henry Augustin Beers

"The ironmonger opposite South College uses his front yard to advertise his wares. On the door-steps is a pair of 'portal-warding lion-whelps.' On one side of the walk is a deer with liver-colored mottlings, and on the other a realistic Newfoundland dog. In the center of the right-hand grass plot is a bathukolpos sphinx on a pedestal, and in the centre of the left-hand plot an ornamented fountain with goldfish. On the edge of the basin squats a large green frog."

The Thomas P. Merwin House, the William Bartlett House, and the Eighmie Patent Shirt

"Thomas P. Merwin, then one of the young dry goods merchants of the city, occupying the double store on Chapel street, adjoining the New Haven National bank, was married to Harriett A. Warner, daughter of Gaius F. Warner, the malleable iron manufacturer, by the Rev. William T. Eustis, pastor of that church, who was then one of the most popular preachers in the city. Four children have blessed that union, all of whom are living in this city to congratulate this couple upon fifty years of their happy married life. Mr. and Mrs. Merwin established their home on College street, enlarging the same from time to time as the growing family necessitated, where they still reside."

The Warner, Student Apartments, 1044 Chapel Street, New Haven, Conn.

"Although New Haven has about 100,000 inhabitants, a six-story building is quite a novelty here. The Chicago 'sky scrapers' are heard of the world over, and have aroused our conservative real estate proprietors, and several new structures in modern style are contemplated. Mr. H. Warner's new six-story building next to the Republican League is attracting much attention."

The Republican League Purchases the Club House on Chapel Street

"Yesterday a very important purchase of property was made, being the purchase of the club house of the Republican league by its members, the consideration being $25,000... Dr. Winchell will convey to the club a clean title of the property -- which was formerly occupied as a family residence by Marshal Carll, and previous to that by the late Gaius F. Warner, and which is situated in front of the Hyperion Theater."

Gaius Warner house, originally with a double bow front

"Squeezed between opera house and club: the remains of the Gaius Warner house, 1860, Henry Austin - originally with a double bow front."-excerpt courtesy of, "New Haven, a Guide to Architecture and Urban Design," by Elizabeth Mills Brown, 1976. (top) Image courtesy of Connecticut State Library Digital Archive, "Warner Hall," by Herbert Randall, Survey of… Continue reading Gaius Warner house, originally with a double bow front

Gaius Fenn Warner, Iron Magnate

"It was not until about the year 1847 that Gaius Fenn Warner found his business life-work, when at his entertainment at his house as hotel, he met a man who was in the manufacturing business of malleable iron castings and who so urged him to also enter this work that at last he decided to… Continue reading Gaius Fenn Warner, Iron Magnate