“On the site of the original dwelling house of Roger Sherman, in New Haven, Conn., the Union League Club of that city has erected a strikingly handsome clubhouse, which was formally opened on Monday, the 12th of October.”
-Excerpt courtesy of Google Books, “The Spirit of ’76, Volumes 9-12,” by the Spirit of ’76 Publishing Company, 1902. (top) “The Sherman Building, Chapel Street, New Haven, CT.” -Image courtesy of the Union League Cafe photo collection, undated.
Many hundreds attend from all parts of the state: Representatives from various clubs, state and city officials. Valuable punch bowl presented. President Martin’s apropos remarks. Music and refreshments.
“The dedication of the addition which has been built onto the Union League Club took place at that club last evening and was a great success. The receiving party consisted of President Martin, of the club, Governor Chamberlain, Mayor Studley, Lieutenant-Governor Roberts, Secretary of State Vinal and a reception committee composed of members of the club. The rooms were handsomely decorated with potted plants and flowers, and an orchestra furnished a splendid musical programme. All the old apartments and the new ones were open for inspection and presented a handsome appearance, all being finely decorated and furnished.
During the course of the evening a handsome sterling silver punch bowl, worth about $400, was presented to the club by the younger members. The presentation speech was made by Edward Fox, on behalf of the committee, which consisted of Charles Burten, Walter S. Thompson and Edward Fox. President Martin replied in a few well-chosen remarks.
Later in the evening President Martin accepted the new building on behalf of the club. He said that it was unfortunate that William Hooker Atwood, who was chairman of the building committee, had been called out of town and so could not be present to make a formal transfer of the building. President Martin then complimented the building committee on the excellent work it had done, saying that nothing could be more satisfactory.
The club makes a handsome addition to Chapel street and justifies the assertion that it is the finest clubhouse to be found in New England, and without a superior except in New York.
A splendid lunch was served during the evening and there were singing and recitations, all of which made the time pass quickly.
Invitations were sent out to the various clubs about the state and also to the other clubs in this city. There was a large delegation from the Algonquin club, of Bridgeport, and also from the Home club, of Meriden. All the clubs in this city were also represented. Ex-Senator Brooker was among those who attended last evening.”
A local firm did the furnishing of the new Union League Club
“The entire furnishings and draperies of the new Union League club were supplied by the Edward Malley company from special designs furnished by the contract department of that firm; a department which makes a specialty of taking all the care and bother of furnishing houses, hotels, churches and halls of the owners.
Every piece of furniture in the superb new club was made to special design, and the design was furnished by The Edward Malley company. The rugs used on the two lower floors were made to special order for that purpose. The rug which covers the library floor is one of the largest ever made, being 23×31 feet. All the draperies were designed in the upholstery department of the firm and made in its own workrooms.
The fittings of the new club are among the most tasteful and luxurious in the country and it is a matter for pride that a local firm was successful in securing the business in fair competition on all points of excellence and cost with the most noted furniture and carpet houses of the country.”
-Excerpts courtesy of the Library of Congress, Chronicling America, the New Haven Morning Journal and Courier, October 13, 1903
Union League Club to hold dedication and reception this evening
“Union league this evening will be the scene of a brilliant reception, the occassion being the dedication of the remodeled club house which is now one of the most elegant in the country.
This reception will be for men only, and will be informal. Probably one thousand members and their guests will be present.
The reception for ladies will be to-morrow evening, at which time the rooms designed for the exclusive use of the ladies and their escorts will be ready for use.
The decorations and furnishings for the assembly and reading rooms are of rich and exquisite design, reflecting special credit upon the members of the committee who made the selections.
All the rooms will be illuminated for the first time Monday evening, and members of the club and their guests will undoubtedly have a jolly reunion.”
-Excerpts courtesy of the Library of Congress, Chronicling America, the New Haven Morning Journal and Courier, October 12, 1903
Held Ladies Night. Union League Club opened its doors to the fair sex.
“The Union League opened its handsome new club house last evening to entertain the ladies. A reception was held in the spacious parlours from 1 until 10 o’clock, which was largely attended. The rooms were handsomely decorated with flowers and potted plants and an orchestra furnished an excellent musical programme during the evening. The receiving party was composed of President and Mrs. Martin, Theodore H. and Mrs. Macdonald, George Ailing and wife, Frederick Hentou and wife, and E. L. Fox. The new punch bowl provided liquid refreshment on the first floor, while a lunch was served on the second floor. One of the features of the decorations was an immense horseshoe of white roses which was hung between the large parlor and stairway to the old home. The affair was a great success and hundreds visited the club during the evening.”
-Excerpts courtesy of the Library of Congress, Chronicling America, the New Haven Morning Journal and Courier, October 21, 1903
Prosperous Union League. Large number of applicants desire to augment its already lengthy membership roll.
“President Martin of the Union League club is being showered with congratulations on the flourishing condition of the club, on the sightliness and attractiveness of its new club house and the club’s brilliant prospects for the future. The new club house will be thoroughly finished by next June and a great deal more additional room will be at the disposal of the institution. The membership now consists of 300 resident members and 135 non-resident members. This is the most prosperous state of affairs in the history of the organization. The initiation fee, which has been discontinued for the last two or three years, will be renewed March 1 owing to the pressure of applicants for membership. The initiatory tax will be $25. The annual per capita fee is $40. The club has now between fifty and six applications for membership.
The Elm City may well be proud of the prosperous condition of this, one of its most representative institution.”
-Excerpt courtesy of the Library of Congress, Chronicling America, the New Haven Morning Journal and Courier, February 24, 1903
“Architect Richard Williams is at work preparing specifications for the addition to the Union League club house. Plans for the addition have been accepted.”
-Excerpt courtesy of the Library of Congress, Chronicling America, the New Haven Morning Journal and Courier, August 21, 1902
“The members of the Union league have voted to extend the building to the street line at a height of four stories, according to plans drawn by Architect Williams. This vote is contingent upon the success of the finance committee in charge of raising the necessary amount, about $35,000. This committee is composed of the following named: Lynde Harrison, W. H. Atwood and Frank Barnes.”
-Excerpts courtesy of the Library of Congress, Chronicling America, the New Haven Morning Journal and Courier, June 20, 1902